Monday 9 July 2012

Future netspeak: cybrid communication?


Trying to research a word, ridonkulous, online yesterday and I found myself diving deeper and deeper into Google, then clicking through from one page to another for hours and hours before I reached a link to a Youtube video. It had had no hits.

The video was by an incredibly beautiful lady with a high-pitched, strangely modulating Russian accent. She was explaining what the 'ridonkulous' meant and where it had come from. There was something unsettling about what I was watching. The woman seemed unreal, ethereal. Her electric blue eyes were like monitors, there were sudden jumps of an inch or two in her movements as she spoke. The language she was using was strange to me.

I have no record of the link, I'll come to why, but what she said was something along these lines:

Dear pupils,

So, you want to know what the ex-logos ridonkulous means? That's easy, login. This was an early twenty-first century blended word that meant something truly ridiculous. It came from mixing 'ridiculous' with 'donkey'. That's a ridiculous blend to make as there's no logic behind it I know, that is why it was so fitting you see? Some people have wrongly attributed the word to early cyberpukes, but in-fact it probably came from slow time TV culture.

So that's it, 'ridonkulous', I hope this has lubricated your understanding pupils. Goodbye.'

And then she disappeared. Right in front of my eyes while I was watching. She disappeared into the colours of lightening but at a speed more like a thunderclap so that bits of her hung around for half a second more than others before she had completely vanished. My browser then crashed and when I restarted it the web history had completely and utterly gone.

I've tried for hours to retrace my steps and find the video again but I can't. I know it's foolish, but I have this firm belief that she was from the future, that the video had, somehow, been sent from the future. The internet's a weird place. A lot of it's beamed through satellites and couple that with the possibilities of quantum computing and who knows. Maybe an anomaly like this could happen where a superadvanced computer somehow sends information back through time along the datastream.

After watching this being who oozed sensuality, probably to keep the attention of future male learners (it's the way we're heading), I was filled with a burning desire to know one thing: is that really how people will speak in the future? I thought it would be more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment