Thursday 9 August 2012

Bolt, Blake, Weir: three lions roar in London


What an amazing race, the whole thing. From the moment Usain Bolt started chatting to the girl looking after his lane to Weir's singing the praises of Birmingham at the end. If there's one thing I'm going to take away from this race, it's that I should give Birmingham more time.

I'm not an athlete, nor a huge fan of athletics so I can't comment on how well they ran. Instead, here's a few pieces of Jamaican patois for you to whisper in your children's ears and hope that it will turn them into the winning machines we watched tonight.

Before the race Bolt was "tannin so back"/"so laid back". You could see Blake telling Weir, "mek we dweet"/"Let's do it."Then the starter shouted "Tan steddy"/"Stand still". There was a pause, and then they were off.

As they ran the corner Bolt was heard to say, "I dey 'pon haste, unnu can come wid mi"/"I'm in a hurry, you can come with me." He might have been thinking when he came down the final stretch that, "Mi back a hat mi". "My back hurts" and as he crossed the line that Blake was a bit "too red eye" "envious". Weir on the other hand was clearly delighted, thinking only "did deh deh" "I was there".

Bolt is, when all's said and done, "bare dog down inna that yard". "The only dog in the yard."

Bolt will have bought off the bar and the three lions are sure to bleach hard through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment